Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Hell Yes Men

These guys. THESE GUYS. I can't believe how silly their pranks were. The gold suit in particular. Such an epic burn by such silly boys. I can't believe all the time and effort that went into such a silly affair. What a debacle? I mean, was the WTO embarrassed? I wish they'd have shown reactions of the organization, press releases and whatnot. The gold suit was hilarious looking. Did they believe that the WTO was being serious? I remember they looked kind of blank. Surprised, but not outraged, excited or anything. I can't believe (nor would I have believed) that that was a legitimate proposal by legitimate (not fraudulent representatives). But maybe they did. Their lack of boos, the peremptory attention paid the presentation, the Jadedness? How could that insanity not been more stimulating if not in approval than anger. That kind of acceptance, the detached, emotionless ennui, the shy perception of a norm? That's the sad fact. The joke is less on the WTO in some ways as it is on the people who would listen to them. Presumably respectably, powerful, their opinions are probably more valuable than most, but their presence is pliant, flaccid complicit. Maybe the yes men were being ridiculous, I think they looked like obvious impostors. Blank demeanors were an unsettling reaction. Not the comic anger or wholehearted ironic approval. Just "whelp, uh huh. Hm." Weird. Creepy. Unsettling.

It is inspiring to know what these people do, because it is so alternative to traditional paths that are so marked by precedent and connotation and whatnot. These people work in a truly rare field, and they live off of it right? Thats daunting and inspiring. They really are out on the slimmest limb, out for that hard to reach acorn. The more I hear about idiosyncratic careers and lifestyles I feel less alone, less compelled to take the prescribed routes of success. So many voices will try to direct, but ultimately I think I'm the one that will know what to do because what to do is what I want to do. It's hard to completely detach expectations of others from your behaviour. It's hard to detach it even in little bits. But in a lot of ways being true to yourself, "following your heart" all these cliches make sense. How to be happy? Go where you want to go, do what you want to do? These make sense. What doesn't is an expectation to be a type or to be a certain idol. Even the filmmaker label is a deceiver. The lines may cross other fields and in drawing them you know what you are doing, but having the label is having an imposing boundary, a confusing boundary.

I wish that I had learned to think about the future in terms of what next and what would you like to do later, instead of do this now and what do you want to be later. Being is not something that just happens. You have to do. By wishing on a "be" I have ignored the process of getting there. I have ignored the do. I just assume based on intellect, on pride, that I'll "be" the image of myself that is best. And then when I can't see how that will happen, my image of me is that of a hollow slouch, not an imposter but a daydreamer, incapable of output. Only input. But that's negative thinking. But negative thinking to me is really a process of finding a positive stream of behavior. You can't avoid conflict caused by misunderstanding, and understanding comes from yourself, and I am young with plenty of time, and It serves no goal to fear failure. Good things come to those who do. Passion Passion Passion. I need some time, infinite unstressed time, to get passionate.

No comments: