Sunday, November 16, 2008

3-d workshop

I have to say I was a little bit detached, a little bit discouraged about this project/assignment. I wasn't too into it because I couldn't see the effect. My eyes separated the images: only one color at a time would be in focus. I could see the other with the other eye but it was as peripheral vision. I couldn't get the images to combine. I think this has to do with whatever is wrong with my eyes. It seems like I'm always being told something different about my eyes, which I guess means I'm fogetful, but I'm pretty sure I have esotropia myopia, or whatever it is called I think it makes one eye focus at a time when I'm not wearing contacts or glasses, with the other serving as peripheral. I think I'm nearsighted.


I just wikipedia'd esotropia myopia and I think it makes sense. Myopia means nearsighted, which means trouble seeing far away. There is also a statistically significant correlation between Myopia and higher IQ's. Esotropia is a condition where one eye goes a little crossed while the other dominates the focus. According to the wiki entry I have alternating esotropia because neither eye is dominant all the time, it just depends on what I'm looking at. People used to notice the crossing quite a bit more, or would at least think I wasn't looking at them. I've never really noticed in a mirror. But being "nearsighted" is confusing because I actually have better than average sight when taking the eye tests with the letters. I don't know. I haven't worn my contacts for a couple months because they wore out. sometimes they feel a bit strained but I guess it's not too important. We'll see next time I go to the eye doctor.

Back to the subject at hand, I can't really see the 3-d effect. The esotropia is probably worse since my vision is split and my brain loses its ability to combine my binocular vision when it is blue and red. Or something. I think I understand it better than I can explain it.

I'm biased based on the above but I thought we spent too much time on it. It's an unusual technique which is what 6x1 is about but It's a bit gimmicky. I didn't think it was as fun also because there aren't many variables; it wasn't something you could play with like the other assignments we had, it was kind of technical. Also, we only had so much time for the actual production so it turned out kind of stupid so I was sick of it by the time we were editing it.

I guess this was kind of an experimental assigment so I'm at ease with it. I guess on a positive note I have some sweet 3d goggles to give away and at least an understanding of a process that I won't necessarily use, but you know, the more you know.

No comments: